Thursday, March 26, 2020

Week 6: Presentation Research

 













                                                                  Wi-Fi

My group's presentation was on the Newspaper box, Wi-Fi, radio and halftone. I was responsible for the impact of Wi-Fi and the history and growth of Wi-Fi. While researching information about Wi-Fi I discovered a lot of things that I did not know before. I did not realize that Wi-Fi really has not been around that long, being that it was created and introduced to the public in 1997. As we all know there were so many positive impacts it has had on the public. It helps us in our everyday lives and allows distant communication. Some negative impacts I found that Wi-Fi has when I was doing some research is that public hot spots are limited and that Wi-Fi can easily be hacked. A fun fact about Wi-Fi that I learned is that the full name for it is 'Wireless Fidelity'. I was surprised by the name I didn't know Wi-Fi was just an abbreviation and I have never heard anyone call it by the full name. It has taken several years to get where we are with Wi-Fi today. Every day they are figuring out how to make it stronger and how to allow it to reach more areas. When doing some more research about Wi-Fi I came to the realization of how weird it is that we all use Wi-Fi pretty much every day but we don’t really know much about it or how it works. Wi-Fi uses radio waves which is a form of electromagnetic radiation. All of our devices that have internet use adapters to translate all the data requested into a radio signal. The waves that are sent out from these devices are then received by the wireless router that is connected. Then the wireless router translates that into data. After learning all this I think it’s crazy how this process is what brings us internet connection. Another fact I found interesting is that Wi-Fi actually originated in Hawaii. There was a computer networking system called the “ALOHAnet” that permitted the first public demonstration of a wireless packet data network. After this was invented it took 20 years for companies like AT&T and NCR corporation developed the “real” Wi-Fi that we use now. Another fact I found interesting are the other devices that connect to Wi-Fi that I did not know about like baby monitors and garage door openers.

Links:

A fun website that breaks down the history of Wi-Fi and how it has evolved:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Our Relationship with Technology - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly I do believe that everyone today has a relationship with techno...